The Lake Havasu Unified School District will engage each student with a focus on scholarship, character, and humanity – so that all students may graduate with the academic and social skills necessary to become responsible citizens and contributing members of society.
As our mission describes, we are committed to providing a first-class education to our students, your children. This year, our priority for the board and staff is to focus our curriculum and instruction on the meaningful learnings that will promote student achievement – “scholarship”. We know that regardless of the subject, our students must be able to read, write, compute, and think at levels comparable to students from the best schools throughout our nation and the world.
In the summer of 2018, a large team of teachers and staff have reviewed the state of Arizona content standards for each grade level and identified from this comprehensive list, those standards in English Language Arts (ELA) that is essential for each student to know in order to succeed at the next level. We refer to these standards as “Essential Learnings”.
Decisions about grades, class placement, grade promotion, after school tutoring, etc., will be based on students’ mastery of these essential grade level learnings. During your student’s tenure in our district, we will provide many opportunities to learn the “essentials”, and we will assess learning frequently. We ask for your assistance as parents in our endeavor to ensure that every student masters essential standards.
Some suggestions include:
- Ask your students about the standards they are studying
- Help ensure that your student’s work provides evidence of mastery of the grade-level standards
- Make sure students are receiving and completing homework
- Encourage students to take advantage of each available learning opportunity, including after school and summer programs
- Communicate with your students’ teachers and principal when you have questions
- Monitor your students’ grades and progress on at least a quarterly basis
We hope that this information answers your critical question, “What will my child be learning?” about reading and writing. We invite you to become an active participant in our rising tide of excellence as we focus on essentials for success.